static IP options

Chris Rickert CRickert at hntb.com
Tue Apr 2 17:36:56 CST 2002

You don't think they know people are using TWC to host websites?  Why do you
think so many dynamic DNS services exist?  BEcause of cable modem service!
c'mon. don't be nieve.  you can go onto netcraft.com and do a search for
webservers on the ip block of which Time Warner Central owns and find a ton
of personal servers using dynamic dns service.  I think they are more
concerned with people opening up example company like "Acme Computers" and
deciding to host an online store for profit.  I can see where that would
cause some problems.  That would definitely be a violation of T.O.S.

I really don't feel bad about hosting a personal website on my home TWC
connection which gets about 10 visitors a day at max and 3 of them are me
from work.  haha.  Anyway, Time Warner can tell if you have a server running
by seeing if port 80 is running traffic.  If netcraft can tell, i am sure
TWC can.  Heck, i had TWC call me and to tell me they thought my webserver
was infected with Nimbda or Code Red because of the packet traffic.  I told
them "no, i have apache going not MS IIS"  They were like "ok, well make
sure you have a firewall and tell your roommate to make sure his windows box
isn't infected."  It turned out my roommates windows machine was infected.
But the bottom line is, they know.

i don't think it's a risk at all.

madjack