logging errors [ was: logrotate problem resolved]

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Apr 2 15:44:53 CST 2002

Congrats Eric,

 Now I have my own logging question for the group.

I have my new LFS disk almost done. I debugged the firewall rules last
night.
I now have a fully functional firewall running on the box. When I nmap
the box,
I see ports 22 (sshd), 24 ,and 53 (DNS). Those are the only ones that
should show up,
for now (apache not yet running, nor is mail). The nmap correctly
generated logs of
the portscan, but my problem is it is also echoing udp errors to tty. I
have set the
icmp echo off (I think/hope). I've been through the /proc filesystem
looking for clues.
What am I doing wrong?
I'm running iptables,xinetd,named,sshd (via xinetd).

puzzled,
Brian

P.S. Eric, it says it is a duplicate. So I suspect there is some other
entry in
your config that is rotating /var/log/messages and that it is truly a
duplicate rotation
entry (after all this is Linux, not Winblows). ;')

> for some reason.  The error was:
>  "error:/etc/logrotate.conf:27 duplicate entry for /var/log/messages"

> Now, if you don't configure /var/log/messages to be rotated in
> /etc/logrotate.conf....where is it configured???
> Any idea how it would have gotten here if it wasn't supposed to be?
>
> I'd like to thank everyone who helped or assisted, especially Brian D,
> he has the patience of a saint.
He don't know me vewwy well do he?
huh huh huh huh