static IP options

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Tue Apr 2 05:27:25 CST 2002

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Marvin Bellamy wrote:

> What's available out there(for *cheap*)?  I want to set up my own domain
> and web server, but I just found out that TWC bumped up the cost of
> their "business" service to $110 dollars.  What's so BS about it is the
> speed's exactly the same, all you get is a static IP.  If TWC IPs don't
> force a recycle, I'd consider running a web server off my dynamic IP.
>  As long as it doesn't take too long for IP changes to propagate.

I've been on TWC, both with and without the static.  Frankly, the speeds
they offered in the static business class sucked hind tit like nothing
I'd ever seen.

<shrug - I guess being three blocks from the CO with 5.99MBps aDSL and
then later Sprint ION {oh how I miss them!} spoiled me a bit.>

At any rate, I've been on their dynamic service since December, and have
had the same IP address the entire time.  I threw a Smoothie
(www.smoothwall.org) on it, used the no-ip.com dynamic DNS client
(included!) and bang - things have been great!  (Well, as great as can
be on cable.)

Dustin

--
"One Architecture, One OS" also translates as "One Egg, One Basket".