static IP options

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.yi.org
Tue Apr 2 05:05:37 CST 2002

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Lucas Peet wrote:

> I've been doing exactally what you're wanting to do...my IP has changed ONCE
> in the 6 months I've had the service, and that's because I had my computer
> and cable modem unplugged for over 48 hours.  (I was moving my machine

That's been about my experience with rr.  The only event that knocked my
IP number was the ice storm for a week.  I'm not too sure how dhcp works,
but its been nice to me. Interestingly, I can change the number by running
/sbin/pumpd, but I can get my old number right back by running
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart.

I use the www.yi.org domain hosting and its worked out well for me.  Its
free, so I'm not complaining!  I run apache with virtual domains for
family pictures and events.  Having my own mailserver works wonders for
controlling spam.

Static IP rules.  Dynamic that never changes seems just as good.  No way
am I using someone else's hosting for http and mail, such as hotmail...
Been there, done that, too hard to update and maintain.  Pictures eat up
the quota quick and I like to see the logs of what people look at and
where they come from.  Plus people can finger and talk to me.  Not to
mention silly scripts controlling lights in the house and webcams.
Static seems to build better communities.  Anything else is an AOL
experience.

--
Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.yi.org                   http://counter.li.org   user #142150