New twist on drive copy - Win - Win using Linux to stage?

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at home.com
Sun Sep 2 13:52:33 CDT 2001

> Do any recent copying/backup/archival tools maintain the
> long/short file name relationship correctly?  Of course the
> fact that you need a special utility to copy a file, and the
> copy command doesn't work correctly, well . . .
>
> Hal Duston
> hald at sound.net

I have used Norton Ghost extensively and it does an exact copy.   When
you copy an image of the current hard drive the registry, LFNs, MBR and
everything remain intact.   I can copy from a smaller drive to a larger
one and the program will make a partition expand to fill the drive if
you choose.  It's great for users that hose boxes on a regular basis.
I can have a box ghosted and back on a desk in 5 minutes.

The key in an enterprise situation is buying a bunch of exact duplicate
PCs (building them yourself is better) all with at least the same video
card, NIC (the most important) and motherboard chipset.   You can
contact me for further details, but let me just say that if I work
someplace that wants me to build lots of PCs or servers and they won't
buy Ghost or some equivalent then I'm outta there.

Brian Kelsay