New twist on drive copy - Win - Win using Linux to stage?

Monty Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Sun Sep 2 04:08:57 CDT 2001

Hal wrote:

>keep together correctly.  Consider the following scenario:

>Do any recent copying/backup/archival tools maintain the
>long/short file name relationship correctly?  Of course the
>fact that you need a special utility to copy a file, and the
>copy command doesn't work correctly, well . . .

  Excellent point.   It is not particularly likely that executable files
will fit your scenario, but it only takes one to ruin your whole day.  There
is a utility in the toolsreskit directory of the Win98 CD that should back
up LFNs, so this becomes step 0.5 in my scenario, and restoring them comes
in about 5.5 or so.

 You get spoiled working with an OS that does this stuff right, you forget
how incredibly stupid the MS approach to LFNs is....