Linux weirdness (Commands that don't behave as I would have expected)

Bill Clark bill at billclark.net
Mon Sep 17 22:19:04 CDT 2001

Perhaps my my memory is clouded, as over the last ten years I have worked on
a lot of different *NIX flavors.  I made a small list of things that don't
work and I think should work.  Maybe somebody here has some insite as to why
the following doesn't work anymore at least under Suse 7.2.  I will check
other *NIX versions at work to see if it's just Suse but I don't think so.

find / -name services >/dev/null
should send STDOUT to /dev/null but it doesn't

grep tcp services >/dev/null works
grep tcp * >/dev/null doesn't work (could the * metacharater be fouling this
up some how?)

<adjtime is supposed get STDIN from a file but it doen't work. It should be
an alternative to typing cat filename.  I get the prompt returned with no
data.
<adjtime wc produces an accurate word count but no display of file contents
<adjtime tee /dev/pts/0 <-----this is my terminal window.  It produces
contents of the file twice on my screen, yet <adjtime produces nothing.

Bill
bill at billclark.net