Intellectual Ammunition

JD Runyan Jason.Runyan at nitckc.usda.gov
Thu Sep 13 14:26:34 CDT 2001

At the center that I work they have done the same thing, and I have had
them forward my mail to another account.  Most companies go to exchange
because it looks like a nice neat easy to use package, but it is not.  I
have managed a few of my own.  They don't want to have to manage a
seperate directory server, and email server.  I would recommend showing
off the IPlanet software.  They have all of the functionality of
exchange using open standards.  Sometime in the future the folks
developing Horde will have a total solution that is web based, but they
are a little ways off from that for now.

The argument I would use would be one of standards.  Exchange
inherently(sp?) does not support Internet Standards.  It does support
IMAP POP SMTP if you turn in on, and they are supposed to be adding vCAL
in the next release.  This would make it so you do not have to use their
client to access the server. I think you will see as Mac regains
desktops, and linux gains desktops that MS will start supporting more of
these standards on thier server platforms, so that they don't start
loosing market share in the server market.  They have used thier desktop
to leverage the server platform where the real money is to be made.
They will do whatever it takes to get more of ther server market, and if
that means putting a pretty face on the same products that we use in the
UN*X world, then that is precisely what they will do.