Intellectual Ammunition

Jeffrey A. McCright jmccright2 at home.com
Thu Sep 13 02:00:51 CDT 2001

So, saying that MS Exchange is VERY Hardware intensive , requiring more Mail
servers to do the same job that HP Openmail, or Sendmail , etc. requires
isn't enough to dissuade those who are making the decisions? Bet it will
dissuade the bean counters, eh? I would be surprised if your IT people don't
already know this. The usual reason IT goes with MS is the Hype and the fact
that everything "MUST BE" supported by the same vendor if possible. Last
time I looked at the specs for MS Exchange server, it was recommended that
you not have more than 250 mail accounts per server. That was a long time
ago though. Back in the days when MS was weening people off of Microsoft
Mail. About 5 or 6 years ago, maybe more, I can't remember.

Hope that helps,

Jeff McCright