binary file

Duston, Hal hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com
Wed Sep 12 16:04:23 CDT 2001

D. Hageman [mailto:dhageman at dracken.com] wrote:
> Your logic is skewed.  Ask yourself this ... if you copied
> a Mac binary to a Microsoft Windows box  could your run
> that program?  The answer is no.  Reason?  It is a
> different platform.  Different standard libraries,
> different kernel, and different binary format (actually,
> I need to check on the binary format ... I am not sure
> what type of binaries are run on SCO).

Not to pick nits, but I _have_ run Mac binaries on a
Microsoft Windows box with the proper emulator.

Executor: A Macintosh emulator for the PC.
Has both Windows and Linux versions.
http://www.ardi.com/executor/index.html

Likewise there is an emulation library available
to run Sco binaries on Linux.  This is actually
much simpler, since the processors are the same,
and the only real difference is the libraries,
executable file format, and the system call
interface.  Still quite a bit, but very doable.
And done actually.  You do need to be sure
that you have support for Misc Binary formats
compiled in your kernel I think.

Linux Support for Non-Linux Programs:
http://www.purplet.demon.co.uk/linux/ibcs/

Informix Ibcs Howto: