Linux Email and financial apps [Was RE: [Learn-chat] XP vs. Linux]

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Oct 30 15:09:50 CST 2001

Well, I see I need to explain myself better.

1) I use Linux, almost exclusively at home. In the past 3 years, I have
used Windoze once - to create business cards with the print going in
landscape mode (because I couldn't figure it out quick enough to do it
in Linux - I now have some things to try out thanks to this list).

2) My friend recently asked me to fix his computer. He is totally PC
illiterate. He has his company's financials on this box in QuickBooks
Pro 2001. He had corrupted files, cross-linked files , and two very
nasty viruses that were deleting and corrupting many of his windoze
system files.

3) He needed a solution and fast. He doesn't know anything about
QuickBooks, or Linux. His wife ran the books and the PC. She recently
passed away very suddenly (we will all miss her very much) Using LaTeX
isn't an option for him. I don't even know how to LaTeX, I'll grant it
appears to be a powerful tool, but I don't really have the time right
now to learn it.

4) Had I known that MyBooks was out at the time, I would have pulled it
down and tried to import his books, and given him a Linux machine. I
told him about Linux; I may even build him a Linux Firewall out of an
old PC I have laying around.

5) This work is all done without fee. Although he did give me a really
nice gift, I never asked for anything.

6) If M$ goes out of business, it will have no effect on me, my Linux
home network, my Linux internet web server, or my Linux internet
mailserver.

In reference to Jonathon's comments:
7) My friend doesn't have pirated software, and I'm not sure why he
thinks I am advocating DOS, pirating, Winblows, or why I should dump my
friends if they don't comply with switching over to Linux. Or maybe
Jonathon thinks I am doing consulting work, and have clients who are
only willing to pay bottom dollar for everything? No in my real job I
get paid to work in Windoze (and port Unisys mainframes to
Windoze/Unix). I may even get a chance to do some Delphi again soon.

8) I'm not sure how my bringing up the point that there seems (key word
here) to be a lack of complete solutions for Linux makes me head for the
bottom.

9) I would be more than happy to replace everyone's M$ proprietary
software with Linux. If we are to be successful in selling Linux to the
masses, we must be able to supply realistic solutions. Trying to take a
personal finance package and make it do business finance, and then
telling the user that the now need to do "this, that, and the other
thing" to make/save and print invoices, just isn't realistic. Neither is
telling a user, sorry we can't import all your data, you'll just have to
key it all in again. Oh you don't have any paper copy, well too bad pal.

Sorry for the length of this rant,
Brian

and what is this kplug-list all about?