Theoretical Samba File Server

Steven L. Brendtro sbrendtro at home.com
Sat Oct 27 16:45:22 CDT 2001

I am researching to build a killer linux file server.  Here is what I am
thinking:

Dual Athlon box with ICP Vortex RAID card, 7 or so 36GB LVD/160 Hard drives,
1 GB ram, etc.  I have multiple users who will need to simultaneously
sustain a throughput over the network of around 10MB/sec (80 Mbit/sec).
This is close to saturating a 100Mbit/sec network interface.

With an ICP card maintaining random access throughput of over 200 MB/sec,
and the only bottleneck in the network cards, I was considering installing
multiple network interfaces on the server, say 4 of them.  Each of these
will be connected to a dedicated switch, each to a dedicated workstation.
>From there the switches will make connection back to a local area network.
I will then run multiple SAMBA daemons, each with thier own unique netbios
server name (FILESRV1, FILESRV2, etc.), but each having share names that
point to the same mount point on the file system.

With this setup, I theoretically should be able to draw around 80 Mbit/sec
per interface.

My question is this.  Does anyone see any problems inherent to this setup?
Could I possibly run into problems with SAMBA sending too much broadcast
traffic, reducing the throughput for my other network segments on the same
box?

Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Steven Brendtro