Road Runner News

Charles K. Lee II chuckx at kc.rr.com
Thu Oct 25 03:16:58 CDT 2001

I'm sure some of you all will be interested in this.  Especially in light of
the ISP thread I just got a chance to look over.

I work for Road Runner and coming November 15 there's going to be some
changes.  Basically, on that date we're opening up the cable network to
multiple ISPs.  Which for customers means more choice, more options and
lower prices.

Obviously, the network and cable lines and such is all maintained by us, but
you get to choose which ISP you are getting service from.  At first, the
options will be Road Runner, Earthlink or AOL. I know for all you AOL is
out of the qeustion :).  However, Earthlink is a nice option because you get
a lower price (they're offering the service at the $40 range).  In
additions, you also get access to their dial-up services.  Road Runner is
also going to start providing their dial-in access then (which answers
somebodies question from that ISP thread, I believe).  However, with
Earthlink you only get 1 IP, as opposed to Road Runner when you can get
up to 4 (for no extra cost, which is cool because I think we're the only
Road Runner affiliate left that doesn't charge more for each additional IP).

Regarding the cable modem service in general, I've been happy with the
service.  I've had both cable and DSL, so I'm speaking from experience on
both sides of the fence.  With the Road Runner service, it's been
consistently faster and more reliable than DSL.  And I also don't have to
deal with the PPPoE nonsense.  If you have the option between DSL and
cable, I would have to wholeheartedly recommend cable.  Unless maybe if
you're exceptionally close to a DSL office.  When I had DSL, I was just far
enough from the local office that they had to cap my downstream bandwidth
at 700'ish k/sec, which is a far cry from the 2 m/sec service I get from
Road Runner.

Anyway, if you all have questions, I'll be happy to answer whatever I can.

- chuckx | Charles K. Lee II -
- chuckx at cold-sun.com -
- http://www.cold-sun.com -