Firewalls, Gateways, DNS Servers

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Wed Oct 24 20:31:25 CDT 2001

I have a stack of Compaq P120 slimlines in my basement - 1.2G Fireball HD,
16M RAM.  Case is the same area as a full AT, but about an inch shorter
(will fit in a desk designed for an XT), has the PCI/ISA slots on a riser,
built-in SVGA graphics.  Throw in a couple of NICs and a CD, throw textmode
RH6.2 on 'em, and you've got a great box to run as a firewall/router, with
plenty of capacity for DNS and DHCP and such.  Stop running your firewall on
your workstation!

I have not configured one of these to boot without keyboard and monitor -
it's theoretically possible if you install the Compaq Management Partition,
which you can download from their web site, but I haven't bothered to test
it, I just use a KVM.

Say about $50 each, your pick, to KCLUG members?  I have to at least boot
'em and wipe the hard drive, so let me know if anybody's interested.  I
could probably bring them to ITEC or the next meeting.