ITEC

Jim Herrmann Jim at itdepends.com
Wed Oct 24 04:50:30 CDT 2001

Hal,
I would like to help out by taking a shift at the booth, and perhaps be
involved in setup.  My son is somewhat interested in helping out as well.  He
is 11 and has run Red Hat 7.1 and now is running Mandrake 8.1.  I mentioned
to him that it might be cool if he donated his computer to be used at the
convention so that we could tell everyone that Linux is so easy to use that
this machine here was installed and used by an 11 year old.  :-)

We do need to discuss what it is we are going to be doing at the booth.  I
suggest that we have three or four reasonably powerful machines running
different distros, but all running Open Office or Star Office 6.0 beta.
Network these machines together so that games can be played across the
network.  The two big arguments I hear about not switching to Linux are lack
of applications, meaning MS-Office, and lack of games, meaning the crap that
is boxed and sold on the store shelves.  We need to show anyone that drops by
the booth that both of these perceptions are fallacies.  We need to show
people the latest, greatest, prettiest, and flashiest software, because
that's what all the other vendors are doing.  As much as many of you on the
list love the command line, it doesn't impress too many people outside of the
Unix world, and they already know what Linux is all about.  I think the
target audience should be Windoze users who might be on the fence about using
Linux.

We discussed burning CDs of distros to give away, but I feel that this would
be cost prohibitive given the limited financial resources of this
organization.  How about having a handout with a list of links to get more
information about Linux?  That would be something of which we could generate
hundreds to give people that would be a reminder of what they saw at the show.

Let's discuss.

Peace,
Jim