ISP's

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Tue Oct 23 02:53:04 CDT 2001

what's the rate?

> I think it's the $49.95 rate,

> I'm pretty sure its PPPoE -- uses Prodigy for connection.

Gaaaah!  EeeeVillle!

> There is a manager software that allows her to
> "dial-in" so she's not live all the time.

And this is sold as a "feature"?!

> It also includes a phone number if she's on
> the road (or if service down) so you can use a dial-up
> number.  (Nice touch IMHO.)

I'm with you there.  RoadRunner recently eliminated the discount for Cable
customers, with the promise that they were going to offer included dial-up
service.  So far, I haven't seen anything about what number to dial.

> I didn't get a chance to clock data rate, but seemed
> every bit as speedy as my connection.

The one site I've worked at has about 512 down and I think it's 64k up at
$49.95/mo.  I did manage to connect a Linux firewall/router using PPPoED,
and it works reasonably well.  SSH won't connect with the firewall from
outside, but I haven't fully explored the reasons, just confirmed that I
can't connect to the box from a remote site.

I had a friend who was an early SWB DSL adopter in midtown KC (Westport
West).  He got at least 1.5k down and 384 up with a static (but not
necessarily fixed) IP and true Ethernet (downstream of the "modem") for
$49.95.  When he moved to the Pacific Northwest, a seacoast village North of
Seattle, he found out what broadband can REALLY cost.