Windoze Shortcuts

Jim Herrmann b3d at kc.rr.com
Sat Oct 20 04:23:33 CDT 2001

Thanks for all your replies to my post, but so far none are solutions.
First off, as I said in my original post, this is a Win NT 4 laptop, and
it has Norton Anti-Virus, plus our company uses Lotus Notes for E-mail,
which seriously reduces the chance of getting a worm or virus.  I
checked and there is no virus.  At least not one that is recognized yet.
  So, let's not pursue that line of suggestions for now.  Somehow the
registry got hosed.  Who knows how that happened with that closed source
mystery black box that is the Windoze registry?  Did you know that the
hints, you know at startup, are stored in the registry?  How f@*king
stupid is that?

Anyway, I found some entries that I fixed in HKEY_LOCAL_ROOT that were
for ".lnk", ".lnk2", "lnkfile", and "lnkfile2" that I exported from
another machine, imported here, and fixed on this machine.  That almost
has me fixed up.  I got my icons back and the right click menu is fixed.
  The only thing left now is that when I double click on the shortcuts,
they do nothing.  I can right click on the shortcut, select open (which
is bold indicating that is the default), and launch the shortcuts
properly, but double click does nothing.  This also means that the Start
menu still doesn't work.  This is the same for all users of the machine,
and I have deleted, and recreated my winnt user profile once already, to
no avail.

This is a stumper.  I'm thinking image the damn thing and reinstall the
unique software that my position requires.  That would be much faster
than all this jacking around.  But I'm so close to fixing the problem.
Damn!

Thanks for any new ideas you might have.

Peace,
Jim