trail balloon... or Rick's folly...

Monty Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Sat Oct 20 02:33:12 CDT 2001

>I'm not sure I follow this guy. I like the dry pair thing,
>but how do you get the internet connection out of it?
>Does it come from an account on one end of the line, or
>from the end at the Telco? How would you get an internet

  There is no "end at the Telco". To take his example, one end is at an
alarm company; the other is at the alarm company's customer (say a business
that's quite willing to spend $50/mo for the kind of bandwidth you can't get
Time Warner to provide you on a "residential" cable router [I refuse to call
it a "modem"] account.)  The implementation for Sunflower would be to get
the dry pair from Sunflower to its customer, and put the appropriate
equipment on each end.  The trick is to get the telco to provide the dry
pair at the normal price for such, without balking because they realize
you're competing with SW Bell Internet.  If you get any crap, remember the
magic words [Kansas Corporation Commission | Missouri Public Service
Commission].