Windoze Shortcuts

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Fri Oct 19 15:07:10 CDT 2001

Jim, I think you may be looking at reinstallation here anyway, but there are
some things you can try.

It sounds like your user profile has become corrupted to the point where
it's not finding the system directory, and possibly other paths.  I would
try logging in to the machine with a different account.  That would, of
course, require knowing another valid username and password.  If that works,
delete your profile from winntprofiles.

There are methods to recover a corrupted NT system, but they're usually not
worth the trouble unless it's a server.  No backups, I presume?  If you have
the disk space, you can try doing a new install to a non-standard directory,
then editing the boot.ini to point back to the original directory once you
get things fixed.

http://mp3.com/fastjohnny