trail balloon... or rick's folly...

David Rush ky0dr at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 19 13:03:53 CDT 2001

Rick:

Sounds like a fun idea to me.  I'm not convinced that it's economically
viable, but you won't know until you at least do some planning.

So you're proposing 802.11b (aka wireless Ethernet) "neighborhood access
nodes", with some high-speed connection.  One good thing about this is that
it should be easy to try out - no large infrastructure to build out, just
some 802.11b gear.

Any projections of how many "neighbors" in a typical neighborhood you could
serve?  Of course that really depends on a lot of things, but any
guesses?  It would take a LOT of nodes to blanket the city, but you've got
to start somewhere.

You'd need to carefully read the terms of service with the DSL, cable
modem, or whatever is used to "feed" the 802.11b access node.  The provider
of that might not take a shine to your attacking his customer base.

Also, I assume you're assuming (how's that for going out on a limb?) 11
Mbps 802.11b, rather than any of the other 802.11 flavors.

I wonder how many people are doing this kind of thing right now (even with
some Cat 5 running between homes), just to share a DSL connection with
their neighbors?

David