Linux certification

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Oct 17 17:30:31 CDT 2001

Been done already by LPI. Most grueling is of course Red Hat. It will
become the standard by which all others will be judged (or so Red Hat
hopes). Certification isn't necessarily anti-opensource. True the gurus
of Linux will never be asked if they have certification, except by total
incompetent personnel managers. But most of us aren't that well known in
the Linux world, and certification states that you have some "proven"
knowledge. I can say I am the greatest Linux wizard the world has ever
known. But if I don't have a portfolio of developed software to back
that up, how is a potential employer going to know that I really am? No
certification is necessary, but like all things man-made there are ways
of cheating and abusing the system. No we don't need another
certification process; what we need is a way to make one that already
exists so far above the rest in quality that there is no question as to
the quality of a certain certification. I say let's support the LPI
certification, the open-source certification created by the Linux
community.

Opensource your mind,
Brian

n/network-intr
usion-detection.html#11.

I believe part of the course should involve creating and managing a
real live mail server, creating and managing a real live webserver,
a real live network server, and all of this could be linked together in
a real-live setting which is running on a local area network that
doesn't
need to cost a million, that webserver needs to have  some serious
scripting happening on the server side, to keep graduates from knowing
administration without knowing at least PHP, Python, or Perl, definitely
configuring a whole new install of Apache from the makefile on upward
(not using precompiled exes).

These are examples from my own very limited knowledge of Linux,
we need a lot more examples of this kind of information in order
to build the kind of excitement which will make this whole idea come
to pass.

Kansas City can give something distinct to the world: A group of
Certified Linux folks who really know what they're doing. It will
require a collaboration of many, many people to make this happen
well, but that's what Linux is all about, is it not? Surely, others
are facing this same challenge, so let's build on what's out
there, but keep the Quality High, and the flavor distinctly
Barbecue.

If we do this, it needs to be done right. Otherwise, why begin.

It should be inexpensive, not driven by money, but then again,
what fifteen people have ten hours a week to spare for the next
few months, to make this happen? It will not be easy, but the
final result will be a blessing to us all.

Thanks for listening.

-Jared