Why someone has to dethrone MS . . . but Linux???

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Oct 8 13:35:12 CDT 2001

> Ok -- Mandrake 7.2 . . . installed months ago on a PC.  I
> decide that it's
> stupid to keep swapping cables on printer when I have that
> box over there
> idle.  No problemo, I'll just install printer there, share it
> via Samba.
> ?? hours later and I'm at least able to see it on the
> freakin' network.
> Mandrake 7.2 didn't install Samba . . . no problem, oh wait -- in need
> inetd.  No problem, oh wait . . . I need ...
[loop on install, until not true]

There are easier ways of installing things. Go out to sourceforge and
look for Linux software installers. There are installers out there that
do all the dependency checks, and install all necessary pieces.
Something that should be included with all builds, in my HO.

>Now back
> to my printer issues . . . CUPS .  . oh ok, how does that
> work . . .

Don't go there! I got it working, but it took my quite a while to find
the right driver.

Brian Densmore
Associate
mailto:densmoreb at ctbsonline.com