Sound Problem with CM8738

Jeffrey A. McCright jmccright2 at home.com
Sun Oct 7 20:13:23 CDT 2001

On Friday 05 October 2001 13:47, David Rush wrote:
> Hi. I've been running RH 6.2 for quite a while on my 450 MHz P-III with
> 64 MB, but I've never had sound working acceptably.  I've got an Intel
<snip>

> dmesg says:
> cm: version v1.1 time 21:09:15 Mar 7 2000
> cm: found CM8738 adapter at io 0xcc00 irq 3

David,

Based on the information you listed from dmesg, It appears your sound card is
using interupt 3 and Base memory at cc00. The base Memory address listed
falls directly in a commonly used memory range for Network adaters. This may
or may not be an issue as Network cards can be found at adresses of c000 to
dd00, and even into the E000 area.

It would probably be best to move the sound card to IRQ5 which is the legasy
IRQ for sound cards. My reasoning for this is that your system probably has 2
Serial ports and posibly a modem. In Pre Plug-N-Play times, Serial ports 1 &
3 referred to as COM1 and COM3 shared IRQ 4 while Serial Ports 2 & 4 referred
to as COM2 and COM4 shared IRQ3. If you have 2 serial ports, it is most
likely that at least one of them is using IRQ 3 thus causing a resource
conflict. If you have an internal modem, then this can further complicate the
issue as it will provide it's own Serial Port, placing itself usually on IRQ
3 or 4. With the introduction of Plug-N-Play (PNP) IRQs and Base I/O
Addresses and Base Memory Addresses are now up for grabs. Modems can find
themselves on virtually any of the non-reserved IRQs, etc...

Long disertation to basically explain that you could simply disable your
second Serial port in CMOS and remove any modems to see if the issue resolves
itself. Ultimately, you will want to move the Sound card to IRQ 5. This may
be possible thru the CMOS setup utility burned into your BIOS or by using the
driver/utility disk that came with your system/system board.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jeffrey A. McCright