kvm switches

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Thu Nov 29 02:30:12 CST 2001

Yeah, there are good and bad points to the KVM.  Worst is the cost, which is
not always commensurate with quality.  For under $200, you can get a good
switch that will emulate the console on the inactive channels, so if you
reboot you don't hang and you don't loose the mouse.

There are very expensive ones, $400+ for four channels, that don't do that.

The $50 mechanical monsters have their place - although I did buy one
locally that took out the keyboard ports on two motherboards (thanks, Dan,
that's the last dollar you get from me).  It sometimes helps if you leave an
empty port between your active ports, or if you switch to an empty port
first, then to an active one.  They're prone to video noise, surges, and you
can't reboot unless you're on the active channel, but they're better than
nothing.

But we're talking consoles here - mouses? We don't need no stinking mouses!
And 320x480 is good enough for a console monitor any day!