Win XP and repartitioning

Richard Edelman edelman at speedscript.com
Mon Nov 19 17:27:47 CST 2001

On Monday 19 November 2001 10:08 am, Eric Gilliland wrote:
> I am running Win ME and Mandrake 8.0 on my dual boot Dell 8100.  If I
> upgrade to Win XP, does anyone know if it will erase my linux partition?

It shouldn't destroy any linux partitions, but it will erase your master boot
record, so make sure you have a linux boot disk handy so you can reinstall
lilo (or grub, if that's what you use).  Another note: you should probably
read the Dual Booting Win2k and Linux HowTo at linux.com (don't have time to
look for a link, sorry), as WinXP, I believe, uses the good ol' NT Boot
Loader. Daisy chaining boot loaders... eww...

Yet another note :)  Why are you looking at 'upgrading' to XP? I've played
with the betas/release candidates and wasn't really impressed. XP really
doesn't have too much to offer as far as an upgrade. It may well do you good
to read some reviews on XP before throwing down the money for it.

Rich