Unattached Inode

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Fri Nov 16 15:01:32 CST 2001

Well, sometimes that happens. You need to boot the system, log in as
root and run fsck (file system check). It will scan your harddrive, and
fix the errors hopefully. It's interactive, so just follow along. If
there is something seriously wrong the boot process will stop, dump you
in single user mode and force you to run fsck.

[jumps up on journaled file system soap box]
This is why I recommend using ext3 or reiserfs. I have had my computer
lock up or the power go off with this system and it comes up and says
something like "oh, the computer went down and there were transactions
outstanding, hold on while I fix that". That is the power of a real
operating system something called "journaled file systems". There is the
IBM jfs, reiserfs, ext3, and a few others. What they do is protect the
system from crashes and unorderly shutdowns, by adding a new layer to
the file system. They keep a "journal" of transactions and if something
unusual happens, the file system isn't screwed up just maybe the
journal. I don't know all the technical details, and this may not be
100% correct, but it should give you an idea of what the do. Someone
else on the list may be able to explain it better.
[steps of soap box]

Brian