Kernel Security update

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Nov 14 21:14:07 CST 2001

This is true only if you are really using a new level of the kernel.
make modules_install install the modules into the proper directories. If
for instance a module has been unloaded by the system, you recompile
your kernel, then the existing kernel loads the module, then ...

Ok, so it doesn't matter which order you do it in. Unless make install
is looking for installed modules to do linkages on, or build
dependencies on, or create module tables, or ...

Maybe either order is fine, but I'm too paranoid to risk it, because I
haven't analyzed the entire build process to determine if there are or
are not dependencies. I have had too many applications blow up because
of some interdependency that didn't get met. Like I said before, if it
works for you, go for it. It's just not the recommended path.