boot time

Richard Edelman edelman at speedscript.com
Wed Nov 14 20:42:38 CST 2001

Here's a nice quick explaination. :) Take a look at the output of the free
command:
[rich at rich rich]$ free
                total         used        free     shared    buffers    cached
Mem:        513316     508704    4612    688       29824     399872
-/+ buffers/cache:      79008     434308
Swap:       248968          0     248968

At first glance (to a linux newbie, or someone that doesn't really know how
to read the output of the free command, anyway) it would appear that linux is
using all 512MB of the RAM available on this machine, right? Wrong. :)  Don't
pay any attention to the 'Mem:' line. Instead look at the '-/+ buffers/cache'
line under the free column. There's still 434mb of RAM free. That's pretty
much how much memory you have free. Linux is one of those things where the
more RAM you give it, the more it'll appear to eat.

For faster startup on a workstation, don't bother starting up telnet, ftp,
sshd, sendmail, httpd, and mysql. Unless you need them, that is. You can
disable those via linuxconf, removing the symlinks in your /etc/rc.d
directories, or whatever other tool your system has. Mandrake's Control
Center allows you to do this pretty easily.  Also, that aurora package tends
to really slow things down, although it's nice eye candy.

Rich