Kernel Security update

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Wed Nov 14 18:50:02 CST 2001

I don't know, I like RPM and I think its a great concept. However you do have to
live with the packager's configuration which is usually lowest common
denominator. I like to build my own RPMs which really isn't all to difficult.
It's the easiest way I know to keep programs updated while keeping your RPM
database up to date and *accurate* and other RPM programs happy. Just tailor
your own spec file or edit someone else's, add patches to your source, and
adjust your configuration to suit your needs. Then it's as simple as rpm -ba
<name>.spec to build the new RPM. Now you have the best of both worlds, an RPM
package customized for your needs. However, kernel RPM packaging can be a wee
bit more complex and is not for the faint of heart. ;-P

A tip on building RPMS, use separate directories for each package and then
soft-link each of the RPM directories in /usr/src/redhat to that package's
directory. It's a lot easier to manage different package's SOURCE files if they
are kept in separate locations.