POP questions

Kent Miller cupajavaman at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 12 05:08:50 CST 2001

I have a few POP questions. I have SMTP working fine. I have used RPM to load POP, and IMAP onto my
computer. My kernel is 2.4.7-10 with RedHat distro 7.2.
1.) What is the best way to tell if POP is running? Maybe my question should be, what is the best
way to start POP, and IMAP?
2.) How do I get the POP service to start automatically when I boot up linux?
copy ipop3d to /etc/rc.d/init.d ?
3.) Currently when I try to "telnet popserver pop-3" replacing popserver with my servers name. I
get a "connection refused error message".  Is this because POP is not running correctly, a
services, or a port firewall problem? I am running the test on the same machine as the popserver.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

THX,

Kent Miller