Aquariums

Steev Johnson Steve at SuperCub.org
Fri Nov 9 17:18:14 CST 2001

He said it!  I didn't!  :)

sj

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Hutchins [mailto:hutchins at opus1.com]
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2001 11:15 AM
To: Rick Palmer; Steve Johnson; kclug at kclug.org
Subject: Re: Aquariums

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Palmer" <repalmer at sunflower.org>

> >Yes Mac OS is great as long as you don't attempt to run any real
applications,
> >or network it, or do any real work with it.  OS-X is great as long as

> >you don't try to use any Mac aps on it.  I'm in the GA business, so I

> >know
just a
> >teensy bit about what I say on this subject....

> ... anyone that makes statements about the Mac OS like that simply
> hasn't ever use it or been around  it.

I'll back Steve on this.  I know of one operation that uses Mac's for
production work, and it's because 1) they network with a VMS system, and
2) They don't use PC's.  They're also in a town (far, far from here)
where there is a university that got conned into using Macs, and
therefore there is a community of Mac hackers available to modify the
things so they'll run and fix them when they break.  (Apple's answer is
"Buy the next new Mac, we fixed it in the new release but it's
incompatible with your hardware".)

Having been the Mac support tech for a number of sites in KC that have
Mac's on their heterogeneous network, having had various Mac's on my
home network including one right now, having provided general support to
Mac's since the early 90's, I have been around them, and I've tried to
use them.

In my experience, it's only people who have never used real computers
that think Macs are useful.  They're a great platform by 1984 standards.
By 2001 standards, they're an Etch-a-sketch.