Wine, Whine, installs, and the like

Steev Johnson Steve at SuperCub.org
Thu Nov 8 20:34:21 CST 2001

Unfortunately, I have to deal with MAC OS too much already thank you.

It must be great to know everything.

sj

-----Original Message-----
From: D. Hageman [mailto:dhageman at dracken.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 2:27 PM
To: Steev Johnson
Cc: kclug at kclug.org
Subject: Re: Wine, Whine, installs, and the like

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Steev Johnson wrote:

> I saw the posts on WINE and I thought about the fact that the only way

> I can bear installing software on Linux is to drink some wine first.
> Now

Well, if that is what you have to do then that is what you have to do.
recommend that if you think that you are becomming an alcoholic you
switch
to Mac OS.  :-)

> Well, so does Linux.

No.

Depends on the distrobution you run and what the philosphy is.  If you
get
a BSD style distro you will find that you have neat little directories
for
most major pieces of software with the binaries soft linked back into
your
path.  RPM/DEB based distros do spread files around, but if you know how

to use your package tool you can find the files very easily.

rpm -ql <package>

> Let's take for example the MYSQL package as implemented under Trustix,

> or any other distribution for that matter.  None of the RPMS really
> WORK to get it installed, there is still tons of Mickey mouse to make
> it work
> - if it ever does.

Well, sounds like you need to write the maintainers of the RPM and let
them know that their RPMs are broken.

> trying to figure out why safe_mysqld hangs.   What every happened to
the
> glorious days of DOS when everything was in the same %$&! directory!?
> What was wrong with that?

Nothing, see above.

> Yes, I understand the shared data and the centralized config
> can/should be somewhere else, but this is just a mess!  Whether it
> gets installed under /usr/bin or /usr/shared or usr/local or whatever
> seems to depend on how someone was feeling that day.  Much like
> windows.  At least with windows, I KNOW there are only a couple places

> other than the app directory that they are going to dump DLLs and the
> like.

And why ... because you have run Windows for so long.  It is called
experience.

> cobol.  If I can't figure this stuff out easily, how is the average
> sysop ever going to be able to deal with this?

No matter how I answer this question it will be bad.  I will pass ;-)

Have fun!

--
||  D. Hageman                    <dhageman at dracken.com>  ||