Distributions

Jonathan hutchins at opus1.com
Fri Mar 30 01:52:08 CST 2001

I'm sure there's a better review somewhere on the web, but some quibbles:

RedHat: NOT the original distribution, but probably the first commercial
distribution.  Uses RedHat Package Manager (RPM) to provide "dependency
checking" and avoid compiling everything from source.  Excellent choice for
a new user, there are several books ("Using Linux") based on it, and it's
pretty close to a candidate for a functional Business Desktop.  Recommended
for Corporate grade servers.

Mandrake:  Uses RPM, uses KDE as the default desktop instead of RedHat's
Gnome, AND IS COMPILED FOR PENTIUM PROCESSORS, whereas most if not all of
the others are compiled for "486 or better" (but can be re-compiled for
Pentiums, PII's, etc.).  Release 7.2 would be the pick of the litter for the
out-of-the-box-Business-Desktop if I'd ever seen two systems on which it
installed the same way...

SuSE: One of the best and oldest distros, very much ready for the
well-educated user.

Slackware: What were you guys doing in the early '90's?  DON'T ANSWER THAT!
Slackware is one of the original )(pre-RH) distributions, and is sometimes
cited as the one that "maintains the True Spirit of Open Source, Community
Supported Software".  (YMMV)

DebIan: Named after Deborah and Ian somebody, who put it together in their
kitchen.  Ian is now making a ridiculous amount of money evolving the
Corporate distribution.  Uses "apt-get", the "other" package management
tool, recently reviewed as "best in concept but in desperate need of an
update".

Caldera and Corel: These are very end-user oriented distributions, but are
quickly falling behind.

RedHat, Mandrake, Caldera, Corel, and SuSE all offer a slick installation
program that will walk you through the necessary choices and put the files
in the right places for you (others may also).  In my experience, RedHat and
Mandrake will run after this program completes, TurboLinux will not (five
systems tested).  I hear good things about Corel, Caldera, and SuSE's
installs.

RedHat is probably your best bet (in the U. S.) for finding compatible
software and people who can help you learn it.  Mandrake is a little slicker
and faster.  Slackware and Debian are preferred by developer/coders.

The big differences among store-bought package distros are the support
available from the distributor (you pay for it), the number of software
packages bundled with it (six or seven CD's?) and the documentation that
comes with it.

Anybody got a take on the various BSD's?