WARNING - NEWBIE QUESTION!

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Mar 29 17:26:11 CST 2001

John,

  Paraphrased from Linux round-up.

 Redhat - the Original distro. Has personal and professional versions, not
geared for the newbie
	per say (sic?).

 Mandrake - Industrial strength business oriented distro

 Debian - GEEK oriented, definitely not for the newbie (masochists excluded)

 Suse - European version of the business oriented distro (personally my new
favorite - great for
	newbies and that sucker is HUUUUGE!)

 TurboLinux - Asian version of business oriented distro.

  Slackware - newbie oriented.

I don't remember what all the others were about. Some are geared for art,
some are geared for newbies, some are geared for administrators, most are
just geared for general purpose use. There is really very little difference
between distro's, some have better tools, some are geared for text-based.
Any distro can be configured to any of the above special uses, but that
requires more knowledge. The trend is for default choices of desktop,
development or various server configs. Mandrake has a very good selection of
customization choices. I haven't seen RedHat lately so can't comment on it.
Suse is geared for desktop professional use; including graphics, internet,
and development. It can be daunting to install, if you go down to the
package level (not recommended).

there are literally hundreds of distros. But pick any of the above distros,
excluding Debian, and you can't go very far wrong. As long as you install on
respectable hardware. ;)>