Starband Internet & Linux

Chris Midkiff chris at datacaptech.com
Tue Mar 27 23:09:20 CST 2001

I am currently setting up a Starband 180 Receiver connected to a Redhat box
configured as a firewall.  I'll put together a howto and perhaps a review of
the service when I get it working if anyone is interested.  I would not
recommend it to anyone who has cable or DSL service available, but for those
of us out in the stix, it's an option, even though it's unsupported.

Anyone else here had any experience with this service?  So far, I can say
that you have to remove an Ethernet to usb converter from the receiver to
enable the Ethernet port.  So much for the warranty!

Our old ISP (Worknet) folded, this is the next best thing that I can find
(for the money, anyway...)

Chris Midkiff
DataCapture Technologies
chris at datacaptech.com