More information RE PCMCIA cards...

Walter Dunz Zscoundrel at netscape.net
Sun Mar 25 03:41:35 CST 2001

I can identify with your pain.  I was all excited (a couple of versions ago)  when I was shopping
for a nic card and saw LINUX!!! under the the list of supported operating systems!!

There was dancing and rejoicing in the isles!  (In spite of the security cameras!)

I felt the same frustration when when the live 'dummy filter' tried to manage my expectations.
(You can't really call what they did for me TECHNICAL support!)

Well, my response was fairly nice in spite of the false advertising, but I did manage to get to
talk to one of the engineers that actually used Linux at home.  It didn't help a whole lot, but he
did manage to give me some decent advice.  By the time I got the changes to the tulip driver
compiled into that version of Red Hat, the next version was out and the card was fully supported.

"Miller, Oscar MILLERO" <MILLERO at LEAVENWORTH.ARMY.MIL> wrote:

> You might try the RedHat supported hardware site.
> http://www.redhat.com/support/hardware/
>
> They have a pretty good list of what is supported or where to find other
> documentation.
>
> Oscar

I prefer things to be "fail-safe" rather than "fool-proof" because everything fails at some point,
and Microsoft already caters to the 'fool' market niche!