/proc/locks file

Edgar Allen era at sky.net
Fri Jun 22 07:40:24 CDT 2001

Forwarded message:

>Well,
>	I have solved my problem.  I just don't know what was causing it in the
>first place.  I moved .netscape to .netscape_old and started up
>Netscape.  It
>created a new .netscape directory as a result.  Then I closed Netscape
>and copied all of the files from .netscape_old to .netscape.  Now it
>starts up without a hitch!  Thanks for all the suggestions.

    The problem with 'permission denied' on trying to remove the lock
    file was that it was owned by 'root' instead of you.

    I suspect that the .netscape, now .netscape_old, directory was also
    owned by 'root', created when you first ran 'netscape' as 'root'
    instead of yourself.

    To see this:

	cd .netscape_old
	ls -l -a

    The third column is the owner of the files and '.' is the current
    directory, .netscape_old.

    When you copied the files as yourself you owned the new files in
    .netscape so all is working now.

    You could fix .netscape_old by doing:

        cd ~
        chown -R Gene .netscape_old

    Assuming 'Gene' is your login name.

    Using 'su -' instead of just 'su' will prevent accidents like this
    because the $HOME variable gets changed to /root so the created files
    and directories go there instead of in the current directory.