Which (RH or MDK) for bare http server?

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Jun 14 17:14:11 CDT 2001

My headless unit (which www.RoseFire.org and www.AMason.net run on) is a
Mandrake 2.2 kernel distro. It is an HTTPS & E-Mail server (with DNS
running).

It has only come down once (when, while running a secure shell in a
terminal, I gave the command to reboot my home box in the wrong terminal
session - oops!). It has been up for about 100 days now, but it doesn't have
a lot of traffic either.

It has been stable though; I generally get 0 to 4 port connect attempts a
week ( 0 successful, so far, perhaps because no real serious cracker has
tried, perhaps not ). There is also a (FreeBSD) server that is set to scan
all my "well known" ports every 15 minutes and page me if certain ports
stop/start responding.