Which (RH or MDK) for bare http server?

mike neuliep mike at illiana.net
Thu Jun 14 14:10:29 CDT 2001

For headless units (which www.kclug.org runs on) I am using the stock debian
distribution which in my opinion is the most reliable distro out there.
You need reliability if you are going to leave a box unattended.

The box has no monitor, keyboard & mouse.  In the event of something stupid
happening with the box, my ISP has ttyS0 connected to a PM2 that I can ssh
into via a sun box.  I've serialized my lilo so in the rare event of a crash
and the box comes up in single user mode (like a failed e2fsck), I can connect
to the serial port, fix it, and then log in.  This works great too if the box
loses network connectivity for whatever reason.  The serial lilo though is the
key to a quicker recovery, it is worth putting on just about any box you want
to deploy in the field.

	Mike Neuliep