Redhat 7.1 and iptables

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Tue Jul 31 21:06:37 CDT 2001

Anybody know of any good resources on how to configure a secure firewall with IP
Masquerading using iptables on a Redhat 7.1 server?  Mainly focusing on writing
rules that go into /etc/sysconfig/iptables (which is loaded from
/etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables). Most the stuff I find on the net is using ipchains
and firewall.rc scripts. I've read through the netfilter howtos, but they pretty
much just explain the syntax. I'm looking for a boilerplate example with
detailed explanations somewhat like the TrinityOS did with ipchains except using
iptables and /etc/sysconfig/iptables for Redhat. Anybody willing to offer their
own scripts would also be very helpful. Perhaps this would make a good topic for
a meeting some day. Thanks, -Jeremy