Linux Project (RE: Linux vs. Windows and why win is winning!)

Monty Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Sat Jul 28 19:19:34 CDT 2001

>Well, we certainly don't want to clone windows. But, I believe that M$ has
>come close to the right solution in their latest help system. They are using
>AI in the help system, and the "walk me through the process" approach =is=
>useful. I say embrace what is useful and extend. I'm sure we will get many
>more great new ideas as we work through our project ideas. I can't wait for
>the next meeting, I want to see this new Menu design! I'm going to bring one
>in too.

  MS has done a pretty decent job on the user interface.  Even the most rabid anti-Win people
should admit that.

  I don't see why the menu system has to necessarily abandon the "classic" design entirely.  One
choice off the new menu could
be to (part) the old menu.  The trick is to avoid overwhelming the user with too much detail all at
once - categorize things
the way a non-techie thinks, to keep the number of choices manageable, but don't nest the menus so
deeply that =that= becomes
a new level of complexity in itself.