Linux vs. Windows and why win is winning!

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Fri Jul 20 13:59:52 CDT 2001

> From: hanasaki [mailto:hanasaki at hanaden.com]
> how about a really good NeXT manager that works w/ Gnome?
> blackbox, or whatever
> it is called, isn't so good.  I hate wasted window space with
> each window having
> its own menu.

I think this is a good Idea. I have used FVWM and it's derivatives. But, I
think we need to choose one of the active desktops either KDE or Gnome. I'm
not so sure that we really need to change the look and feel of KDE or Gnome
as much as we need some way of stripping out the duplication of services and
menus. The menus are what are the real killer, as well as the keyboard
controls and mouse clicking behavior. I mean if your looking for an e-mail
client, where is it. Is it in the "Internet sub-menu" or the "Internet
sub-menu of the KDE sub-menu" or the "Internet sub-menu of the Red-Hat
sub-menu of the .... sub-menu"? Sheesh! I think the "look" of the look and
feel of Linux is good enough, in fact it's way better than the alternative.
It's the "feel" we need to work on.

Brian