will lack of corporate support kill off Linux?

Glenn Crocker glenn at netmud.com
Tue Jul 17 16:50:21 CDT 2001

Don't underestimate the coupling of "simple" and "reliable".  Mainframes are
slow to change because they're not intended for change.  They're intended to
be reliable above all else.

The most reliable Web systems I've built had load-balanced sacrificial Web
servers (where reliablility was no big deal; just reboot if need be) tied to
a Tandem mainframe on the back end.  I think they took the Tandem down once
a year for preventive maintenance, but it was up otherwise.  This was a very
appropriate use of both very different kinds of technology and attitudes
towards change.

-glenn