will lack of corporate support kill off Linux?

Steven L. Brendtro sbrendtro at home.com
Fri Jul 13 21:38:49 CDT 2001

I voulnteer at a worldwide ministry organization based out of Kansas City
and we currently run 5 Linux servers (expanding to 7+ by September).  They
perform *mission critical* tasks including:  a Database server, a Web
server, Firewalls, SAMBA file servers! and a Squid cache server.

The corporate geeks my not want to utilize Linux, but smaller organizations
(eg schools, non-profits, and small businesses) Linux is the perfect
solution to the headaches of Server/CAL+Workstation licenses, not to mention
the future "innovations" in licensing technology that Microsoft is sure to
come up with in the future.

Of course, when all is said and done, our overhead for maintaining Linux
servers is MUCH less than if they were running other unnamed OSes.

With IBM's move, I expect to see small business Linux usage soar as they
give it more spotlight in the media... Not to mention the extra attention
given every time Mr. Gates mentions the word "Linux".  Hey... if it is a
threat to MS, it must be good software :)

Just a few thoughts.

Steven Brendtro