will lack of corporate support kill off Linux?

Tony Hammitt tony at speedscript.com
Fri Jul 13 19:57:43 CDT 2001

One thing that companies should do if they are afraid of M$'s license police
is to repartition their hard drives and install Linux.  When the M$ weenies
come around, boot to Linux and tell them to f*ck off.  Then boot back if you
want to.  They have no right to examine your hard drive's contents, just
outward appearances of the system.

<soap box warning!!>

In a completely different case, we're actively promoting as much Free software
as we can here.  (Pardon me while I strain my shoulder patting myself on the
back).  We're converting from a proprietary pseudo-database to MySQL (or
possibly PostgreSQL in the future) for our clients.  We'll be porting our
code to Linux from SCO unixware soon.  We expect to make an extra $1000 per
sale just in license fee savings.

When given the simple business case of 'we save money' and 'we will have more
usable systems' quite a few businesses will start to switch to Open Source.
We're also using the traditional 'we can fix things ourselves' reason, too.

When I got here, they didn't do any Open source related things.  It's been
6 months and now we're actively rolling out Free software to our clients.
(and I got promoted to development team lead and software architect)

So, businesses can get a clue.  Sure, it helps that this is a small business
and we can move faster than most.  But all businesses can benefit from going
with OSS/FS.

Gotta go, off to recommend Samba over NT for file services...

Later,

	Tony