will lack of corporate support kill off Linux?

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Fri Jul 13 17:40:03 CDT 2001

Well, what I see is the government and government contractors using open
source. I was recently reading about a private corporation that builds war
simulators. They ported a mainframe simulator to a Linux cluster and it's
much faster and more powerful. There is no place for reselling open source
programs. But open source OSes are here to stay. It's the infra-structure
that will best be made open source. I don't really care if my word processor
is open source. It would be nice, but I can't see companies spending tens of
thousands of dollars to write a shrink-wrapped products and  then give them
away. what we really need are "available source" applications. Applications
that are written and sold, but the license to recode and resell remains in
the control of the original authors. That way others could buy the software,
fix bugs, recompile, and submit those fixes to the authors (if they want
to). Of course I live in perfect world, were everyone gets along. ;')>

Brian