New Prentice Hall User Group Program

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Jul 11 18:08:57 CDT 2001

> Maybe you're not going to the right section on the site.  It
> doesn't ask for
> a user name in the first place.  All it requires is a
> password, and the one
> he gave works.

Well, that's just too weird! I'm going home! I clicked on the link earlier
and got a java login pop-up window. I tried again just now and got the
correct response. We've been having network connectivity problems here
today. So I stand corrected.

Ok so here's my review of the site:

Looking at the site, the prices look reasonable. I don't recognize any of
the authors (at a quick glance). Some books have a good breakdown and give a
good idea of what you can expect to get. Some are almost useless
descriptions. So I conclude the authors are putting together the "more info"
pages. This is of course a good thing, because it gives a good idea of how
they write. Some  also have sample chapters you can browse to get an even
better idea. I buy all my books from O'Reilly and will continue to do so,
but the Prentice-Hall site looks like it might be useful for some less
opinionated people. The prices I saw ranged from low $20s to >$100.
Generally anything over $60 was part of a set. Page length didn't seem to be
a determining factor in price.

HTH,
Brian