basic question - internet access using ppp

Philip, Anil aphili01 at sprintspectrum.com
Mon Jul 2 19:49:57 CDT 2001

Brian,
Thanks for your reply! I am running it from my home computer (no firewall!).
1) no messages from pppd. it does not say it has created the connection. it
just says "trying to connect..."
2) pppd. the Debug button in the dialup configurator shows the log trace
3) yes, I try to ping. but since i did not know an actual i.p. address
offhand, I tried to ping cnn.com and also and bring up the browser to go to
cnn.com. failed.
4) yes, doing a ps shows pppd was still running.
thanks,
Anil.
----------BEGIN-LOGFILE---------------
WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.41
Initializing modem.
Sending: ATZ
ATZ OK
Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0 OK
Modem initialized.
Sending: ATDT 8164120952
Waiting for carrier.
ATDT 8164120952 BUSY
The line is busy.  Trying again.
Sending: ATDT 8164120952
Waiting for carrier.
ATDT 8164120952 BUSY
The line is busy.  Trying again.
Sending: ATDT 8164120952
Waiting for carrier.
ATDT 8164120952 CONNECT 40000 V42bis
Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
** Welcome to KC1-DIAL3 **

login:
login:Looks like a login prompt.
Sending: glorbX at showmeisp.net
glorbX at showmeisp.net
Password: Looks like a password prompt.
Sending: (password)

PPP session from (206.57.114.4) to 206.57.114.127
}%}&jqf7}'}"}(}"V~PPP negotiation detected.
Starting pppd at Sun Jul  1 13:53:35 2001