Mainstream . . . (LONG)

Jason D. Runyan Lists Account jrunyan.lists at dms.nwcg.gov
Wed Jan 31 23:38:14 CST 2001

I agree with the first post.  My wife is the same way.  As  a matter of fact
she misses having the Linux machine at the house now.  I have to set up a
new one for her to play on. I think I will do it on the SPARC.  She has no
tech tendencies at all.  The price of MS software will eventually throw
people to alternatives. Windows drug people away from MacOS because it was
significantly cheaper.  Once people can walk into Best Buy and by a cheap PC
with Linux and some useful applications on it, then they will.  The main
obstacle is getting browser plugins that work in Linux, so that people can
have their eye candy, but that will come with more users.  Computers now are
used for Word Processing, Playing Games (Ed and otherwise), and surfing the
net for the most part.  There is a significant effort being made by smaller
vendors to expand their market by developing for any and all platforms they
can.  This includes Linux now.  I see more games all the time, and allot of
them are free for the time being, unlike their windows counter part.  Linux
WMs still have a little ways to go in Graphics acceleration to convert me
completely in the Workstation world, but as far as servers go, I use UNIX
servers whenever allowed.

--
Jason D. Runyan
NITC USDA Contractor