IP Routing Question

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Jan 3 21:36:33 CST 2001

Monty,

   My experience with traceroute is limited to using it only. I don't know
all the details. But I'm sure "hiding"[1] the IPs can be done, I don't know
the specifics.

> > network. A traceroute will display both the external and internal
> > addresses.
>
>   Would it be possible for traceroute on these four routers to be
> recompiled/configured to only report the public IP to clients tracing
> from the "outside"?  This seems like the thing that could cause
> confusion.  If the outside world doesn't know about the other
> addresses
> (and the tales of unnumbered interfaces certainly indicate this is
> possible) then they can't screw anything up.

[1] using the term hiding loosely, it might be better described at altering.
Traceroute shows the internals for me on this network, but I'm sure that is
configurable, or else VPN's wouldn't be possible. Right?

I think we could simulate this scenario during a demoday, even without a
"real" internet connection. After all the original Internet was only 2
servers, right? If we could get enough equipment in for a demoday, we could
rig up our own internet backbone with public addresses and add your star
network in through an internet "gateway". Anyone want to try it? Anybody
have real routers? I could bring a few pcs as clients and servers.

Brian